Presentation on Approaches and methods of Value Education
- It is the process whereby desirable behaviour is encouraged by presenting a reward at the time of occurrence of such behaviour.
- It creates happiness
- It helps to identify the strengths of students
- It utilises their strengths to accomplish the tasks
- It produces new and desirable behaviours
- Desired behaviour will educate a child morally, and so the purpose of value education be solved.
Importance of Value-based Education
- Builds positive character.
- Strengthens students’ self-esteem.
- Helps them exercise ethical judgment and social responsibilities.
- Students develop a secure sense of self.
- They become more empowered to take responsibility for their own learning.
- It builds the qualities of humility, strength and honesty in a child.
- They become better citizens of the country.
Need of Value-based Education
- Increasing violent activities
- Behavioural disorder
- Lack of unity in society
- Lack of obedience and discipline
Activities to be conducted in classes
- Value Charts
- Value Record Copy
- Habits Box
- Monthly Value-based theme
Students made two boxes: Good Habits & Bad Habits
- They put slips of paper as per their habits into the two boxes.
- As and when they got rid of their bad habit, they wrote their good habit on the back of the same slip and put that slip in Good Habits box.
- They wrote their names at the back of their good habit slip.
- The names along with the good habits were announced in the class every week.
Monthly Theme – Value
- A value is selected for every month like politeness, honesty, kindness, gratefulness etc.
- Children practice these values everywhere in school, at home, etc.
- ‘How, where and in what way’ did they practice these values they wrote in their Value Record Copy
Example: “I Was (Polite) To …”
- They paste photographs to support their application of these values.
Positive reinforcement to instill values helped students
- in building positive character
- strengthen their self-esteem
- exercise ethical judgment & social responsibilities
- develop a secure sense of self
- become more empowered to take responsibility of their own learning
- understand their habits and worked towards changing positivity
- be happy.
- development of positive attitude
- understanding of the importance of basic values
- enhanced self-esteem
- respect for everybody
- awareness of one’s social responsibility
- become caring
Thus, we can see how values can be included in our present education system, and surely
Values Make The Difference